Saturday, August 9, 2008

Suitcasing It Up

Preparing for College:

1. Work hard to do well in high school to only work harder in college... and have way more fun - this is serious ladder climbing, and I mean the Life Ladder (we just climb until we fall of) not the Social or Economic Ladder (that won't come until we get real serious jobs and pay off student loans).
side note: some never actually get to the point where they put the ladder up against something...it's definitely possible to live life on a plateau

2. Get money - who cares how you get, you just need to get it. You can't go to college without money.

3. Move out. This is where I'm at in the process right now. I have been working on cleaning out my closet, realizing I finally have to get rid of all the things that are only useful for reminiscing the great days of when you first started school and for wasting time reminiscing. In my closet, this includes my pencil (the kind with pictures... they've never been sharpened) and stickers (taped to the pencil box just in case they became "unsticky" and fall off) collection I have had since first grade. I feel like I should donate it to a country that can't afford pretty pencils. I also have a collection of a variety of Altoids tins in case I ever wanted to store very tiny knick knacks in them. Those will probably be recycled. Other things are going into storage to rummage through next summer and sift out the important stuff again.
Besides packing up my room, I have to decide what to bring to college. And this is what my luggage might end up looking like:
Or it might just be my cat (this isn't my cat, by the way...). I'm not obsessed with my cat like some insane dog lovers on that new T.V. show about Dog Owners and their wasted lives...but I do love her and her bipolar ways. She's my baby, and she may be my number one possession that will be sad to leave. I can most definitely survive without her...as I often forget she even lives in my house, but I am now realizing how much she will miss me and I can't handle thinking about how when I come home from trips her throat is dry because she has been crying so much.
This makes me wonder about those apartments that don't allow pets that are probably more domesticated than your very own children. How does that makes sense? I mean, sure animals can be crazy, but children are more likely to do more damage to your house if you don't watch them than your animals... I guess it really all depends on the owner and their ability to control their offspring or pets.
Also... like traveling - you can't just stick your kid in a bag like an animal (how come that's not animal abuse???), you have to make sure they're quiet and don't break the back of the passenger seated in front of them.

4. Go.


I just google for images.... just so you know. Those are not any children I know.

No comments: