Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I got a Job


After a month and a half or searching for work when I came home from school, I got a job.
Sorry it's taken forever for me to announce it here on the blog.

When people tell you connections are what get you the job, it's brutally true. I applied to well over 50 jobs, Temp agencies, and employment services in a few weeks and only heard back from three places. One was actually volunteer work. The other two were those sketchy kind of jobs like Mary Kay. Not that those are bad jobs, they just aren't what I need to pay for college.

It wasn't until my family had dinner with a guy who worked for GM's Motor Insurance Company in Canada that I found a job opening that hired me instantly. I did have an interview, and the supense was a bit nerve wracking, but all they asked was: "Can you change the name of a file?" SERIOUSLY?! Computers are my thing, so I got the job... and life has been better than dying of boredom at home. Being bored was awful awful awful.

Anyway, so I've got a job photocopying and doing data entry. They wanted to make sure I was okay doing mundane work, and believe me, this is heaven compared to last summer at the hospital.



Sometimes I get to read interesting crash reports... and my favorite thing is photocopying. :]

Oh... the best thing about my job: When I told my dad I got work with GM he laughed, since they've gone bankrupt, and said, "They fired hundreds of people to hire you." I'm just special :)

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Way to go on the job! I feel for you college students.

And yes, Mary Kay is sketchy...good job not taking that one.