Thursday, February 11, 2010

My little fingers on a run




My mom just sent me this article about dance being used to build self-confidence in third world countries that I thought I would share.

Right now in my English for the Social Sciences class we are working on writing proposals. Boy, do I hate this part of my major. Haha. I love writing, but I hate it at the same time. I'm writing about how there should be greater awareness about Dance Movement Therapy in our world, since, from personal experience, most people don't really know what I'm talking about when I tell them I am counseling psychology major wanting to eventually become a dance therapist. It definitely can get confused with doing therapy for dancers. Also, people need to be aware of all the benefits there are from movement therapy. As I do my research, I am learning things I never even knew, like that DMT helps patients with issues ranging from stress to depression to cancer to schizophrenia.

I wanted to post this article to work on enlightening everyone with the power of creative arts in the world. I know it's probably weird to some people to have therapy through art, music, dance, drama, poetry, etc. but it's amazing to me. I've had my fair share of medication and psychiatrists when I was younger and have been very fortunate to overcome those challenges through self-will (I hated seeing doctors and having medicine, haha, so I decided I'd fix things myself through the great gift of agency. I know it's not that easy for everyone, though, thus why I feel very fortunate). Life still has normal challenges we all have to face and as I've been involved with contemporary dance, I have experienced how therapeutic it can be. And growing up I've used art, poetry, and music to express my emotions anyway. It is amazing and important to me that this world is filled with the arts as a more natural therapy to help us through life.

I also wrote an issues paper my in my freshman writing course on the importance of keeping arts in education programs. I definitely can't sum it up here, but it is just dumb to try and raise intelligent minds with out the arts.; there must be a balance.

Anyway, that's what I had to say today. I'm amazed by the power of knowledge of many things, but, most especially, the Gospel, without knowledge of that everything else would seem less meaningful.


[I wanted to clarify something that my mom brought up that wasn't so clear in this about medication and therapy. Many things are so beneficial to helping people. I strongly believe we have these wonderful inventions and organizations as blessings since not everyone can be helped through one way. I hope I don't sound like I'm against them, though I didn't like it as a kid, but I understand the importance of them now. The only thing I have a problem with is when people do not understand that they can depend on one thing to cure their problems, like a crutch or an excuse - it takes a lot of mental effort on an individual's part. It takes a combination of things sometimes. And I mentioned that I feel very fortunate to have found strength to help overcome my personal issue, but I know that this is not the case for everyone. Unfortunately, some people can do all they can and still not feel healed. This is a sad reality, so I hope that those struggling can use these outlets created by doctors and therapists to find greater happiness. There is so much to think about since everyone is so different. . . anyway, I hope none of this came out wrong. I may be opinionated and more supportive of certain things, but I understand that we're all different so different things work for different people depending on the circumstance.]

No comments: