Thursday, June 24, 2010

Books on... line?

Because I haven't been pleasure reading much, I decided to see if I could find "books on tape" that were online that I could listen to while I was at work. I've been really interested in reading more by C.S. Lewis and I, fortunately, found Mere Christianity online. I still have to finish the very end, but the website I'm listening to it on isn't cooperating, so I'll have to read the ending from a hard copy. And I actually would really like to read the hard copy after listening to it. I would encourage almost anyone to read this book. It's not an exciting one, but it is thought-provoking, and I like that.


What a remarkable mind.

I took down a couple quotes I enjoyed while listening:

"People need to be reminded more than they need to be instructed." 
Originally, I wrote this one down to know where to pick up listening during my next work shift, but after I looked at what I wrote I realized I liked this little blurb. It reminded me of a conversation I had with my father back when I had just been made the Relief Society President in my BYU ward. I was constantly thinking, "How do I become a good leader? How can I teach properly? How can I give the right advice? etc. etc." In a journal, I had taken many notes on Christ's example and my favorite king in the Book of Mormon, King Benjamin, and other attributes I noticed in people I admired. The biggest things in my mind were having charity - just serving - and being an example. When I spoke with my dad about this he said to me how most people don't need to be told what to do or how to be - they already know and just need to be reminded. 

Don't bother yourself with whether you love your neighbor - act. As you do you'll learn to love them.
I believe this more and more each day. Faith and good works must be together. You don't get anywhere closer to your potential until you take one step after another.

We become as gods as we treats ourselves and others as gods .... like a mother talks to a baby as if it understands much longer before it actually does... or like treating a dog as if it's almost human makes it almost human in the end.

Laziness means more work in the long run.
I hate being reminded of how I can be a procrastinator, but in order to be an accomplished person and to strengthen my weaknesses, I need to be aware of the areas that need adjusting. Hopefully this quote will motivate me more.

We have to become more brave, more patient, and more loving from our challenges.
I like anything that relates to growing from personal trials because I am a firm believer that the purpose of challenges in life is to teach us and help us grow - and the optimistic perspective that includes this belief is necessary to reach our potential and have greater joy in life.

No comments: