I just got out of the Carl Bloch exhibit. It was beautiful.
I have grown up with the images around me at church, but they have never struck me until I could finally see them up close, examine Bloch's gift and talent in detail, and better understand the testimony that Bloch had of Christ. The exhibit was nicely laid out and accompanied by classical music that invited the Spirit and matched the emotions that you feel when pondering Christ's life in pieces and as a whole. There were many people, but I felt that even through the chatter there was a strong sense of reverence. I was able to single myself out to focus on what I was feeling and think about Christ's life and example.
There were times I choked up a little, and even got teary-eyed. This was just what I needed to get into the Christmas Spirit.
I am very grateful for the effort BYU's Museum of Art put into this exhibit and also for the passion Bloch had and the desire he had to share his gift that has strengthened my testimony of the Savior. Even more than this, I am grateful for Christ's sacrifice, love, service, and example.
The only piece I could not find a picture was one of Christ's descent from the cross. It was one of my favorite. It depicted three disciples beginning to wrap Christ's body after he was taken off the cross. It is dark and one disciple holds a lantern to light the scene. Hidden to the side are the nails and the crown of thorns. The picture captures the sense of quiet reverence from the disciple's love for Him as well as a thick feeling of sorrow and aching. And in the description of the painting it was said that the painting was done after the recent death of Bloch's wife, so he was most likely wrapped in these similar feelings while painting this and thinking of Christ's atonement.
Someone said of Carl Bloch: "He dipped his paintbrush in his heart." I agree.






No comments:
Post a Comment