Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blog Title (as requested by my mother)


I guess it's completely logical to question why the blog title is titled the way it is. Who knows why my first post had no relation to the name? Anyway, here is the story of my name: Jane. (I would go into my full name, since it makes everything funnier, but "the internet is dangerous! be careful about the information you post! some cyber monster could reach their hand out and kidnap you!" so this will strictly be about my first name)

Actually.... you should know my full name if you found this blog, but we're going to focus strictly on my first name, because the rest of my name would lead to too many funny stories and funny names of my relatives. Maybe I'll post about it later.

JANE

That's it. J-A-N-E. No more, and ESPECIALLY NO LESS. I have nothing against other people who have names that originated from my own, but my personally opinion of such names results in frustration, anger, and disgust. I can't tell you if I'm even exaggerating, too.

Well, there are some exceptions, like "Janey, Janessa, Janelle, etc." Those are okay in my book. What isn't okay for me is: Jan, Janet, Janice, and so on. For some psychological reason, I cannot ever be mistaken, misspelled, or referred to as those names.

Here's a favorite story of some in my family in regards to the topic:
Every time we have family gatherings at Dinkey Creek, California, we visit the Giant Sequoias and Redwoods. There is one particular spot near the camping grounds that we like to walk through where one of these trees has fallen. And on this tree is engraved the names of thousands of people. We like to carve our names there, too. For the first time, a couple years back, I was given a shiny pocket knife to carve my name (after the tribal inition challenges, of course, like diving off the cliff nearby a waterfall into freezing waters). So I found my space on this log to carve my name. First the J, then the A, and then as I was finishing N my family yells to me that we have to LEAVE! J-A-N......no time to even start the E! They couldn't wait one more minute for me to complete my name...No, they had to drag me away - my name... my being... defiled... for eternity.

So on this log sits an incomplete name. A name that belongs to 3/4s of a person. A name that will never reach it's full potential because it is never to be found again.

And yes... there are plenty other stories to my name, but this is all for this post.

3 comments:

Whit said...

Jane--Thanks to you my blog is a mirrion (million)times cuter. You are the best!!!!!

Love, Whitney Niersen ...the only reason I typed my full name out is so I could say Niersen.

PS) Thanks for changing the sign on my door from Nielsen-Niersen. Definitely an upgrade :)

little mrs w said...

Awww this made my day. :] You're so wercome.

Janessa said...

Jane, I'm glad you don't hate my name.