Describes how I feel about multiple friends of mine getting engaged within the last two and a half weeks.
1) CONGRATS and I am very very very very excited and happy for you all :]
2) Sometimes, Mormon culture is really crazy.
3) I've decided that if anyone wants to persuade me from going on my mission next summer, they have until this coming August. After that... I'm closed.... or just much harder to persuade.
For anyone who has known me for at least a year, you'll know serving a mission has been a goal of mine since I was at least 4 years old. I was 4 when I decided I would go to BYU, soooooo .... Haha. Well, I wanted to share this letter from my friend, Elder McKay Ahping, who is in the MTC right now. I ran into him walking to the temple last Thursday morning. He'd come to the MTC multiple times with me last year and sometimes this past semester. So this is what he wrote to me:
"I'm so excited for you to go on a mission. If you go you'll be da bomb! It's funny how much more mature and hard working the sisters are in our district. you will be a big plus to your district. Just don't be one of the wacko sisters that cries at everything."
That last line made me laugh so much. Imagining myself as a missionary... I don't know how much different I'll be from who I am now already, because I have been trying to prepare so much and I've already done some crazy stuff that has made my bishops say, "You have to go, Jane!" I've been trying my best to be one already, because the Gospel is something you live and it brings joy that everyone should know about. It is not something I will only work hard to share with people for 18 months. this is a mission we decide to serve from the day we are baptized.
Well, we'll see what happens. Lately, I've been hearing a lot about how girls that prepare end up getting married and girls who don't want to go end up serving. Funny. Whatever happens, I'll be content and still do my best with whatever I need to do. I'll be sad when my friends come home, though.... because if I'm gone, they'll probably get married and if I stay and get married.... then I'll be married and they'll be bummed. And to me, doing neither is not an option. Haha, I'll keep you updated!
Oh, and if I had a choice... I would want to serve in Colombia... or Hong Kong...But as every (or most) missionary says I'll be happy to serve wherever the Lord needs me. :] Whether that is on a mission, as a spouse, or as a single student available to my friends.
Oh yes..... if I did happen to get married before I could go on a mission...... my husband will owe me BIG time.
2 comments:
Haha. I had my papers filled out and ready for my bishop and stake president interview. My dental work was done and I was in a mission prep class. I am now getting married in July. Haha.
Hahah I noticed that! I'm excited for you! Congrats, btw. :]
Yeah... who knows what will happen. Sometimes, since I've had this happen to another friend who got her call then didn't go, I think it's the preparation or motivation to prepare that is needed. Preparing for a mission (really, the temple) prepares you for marriage!
Post a Comment